Callington Mill is a working Georgian windmill built in 1837. The restoration of Callington Mill to its former glory was completed in 2010 and the first turning of its sails after being dormant for so many years was a magnificent sight.
The Callington Mill, in the township of Oatlands, Tasmania and was fully restored to full working condition in 2010 after may years of lying dormant. The mill is the only fully working wind driven tower mill in the Southern Hemisphere. Callington Mill was built in 1837, here is the story behind this iconic structure…
John Vincent was born in 1779 in Cornwall, England. In 1803 he married in London Susannah Rivers who was the same age. Over the next twenty years the couple had seven children while they were living in England. In 1823 at the age of 44, they decided to move to Tasmania. They immigrated with their children on the ship Elizabeth which arrived in Hobart in 1823. After they came to Tasmania they had two more children.
Over the next decade John became the proprietor of two licenced hotels, one in Bothwell called the Norwood Inn and one at Spring Hill called the London. His eldest son John Jubilee Vincent was also an innkeeper and ran the Lake Frederick Inn (later Lake Dulverton Inn) at Oatlands. This hotel still stands today.
In about 1836, at the age of 57, John decided to build the flour windmill at Oatlands. He used the best technology available in this project. It seems that he was very proud of this investment and he announced its opening in the newspaper in 1837. However, his interest in the mill was short-lived and the following year he tried to rent it. He advertised it in the newspaper giving a good description of the mill and its surrounds, it said:
“In its early years, it was considered one of the first rate windmills in the country, and surpassed by none in its situation for business. Fitted up with two pair of good stones, (French burrs,) dressing and smut machines; together with a very respectable dwelling house, attached to which is a counting house and small store, washhouse and servants’ bedroom. On the premises is a good granary, stable, chaise and cart houses, with piggeries and fowl house, and about two acres of garden ground in cultivation. Also, to be let with the above are six Cottages, all occupied, and paying good rents. Application to be made to Mr. John Vincent, the proprietor.”
Brand or product names
- Plain flour – light sifted
- Plain flour – wholegrain
- Bread flour – light sifted wheat flour
- Bread flour – wholegrain wheat flour
- Natural buckwheat groats
- Natural buckwheat flour
- Spelt flour – light sifted
- Spelt flour – wholegrain
- Rolled oats